My dear wife, Allison, is a brave soul.
She is leading the recreation portion of the Interaction Center at the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans. There is about 80,000 square feet (no big deal) set aside for young people to do all kinds of different activities throughout the week. It's a massive undertaking...and I'm amazed at how organized Allison is with all of this. I can't wait to see how it all comes together in July.
Allison is looking for 5 volunteers to supervise and lead activities for the 30,000+ youth and adults who will be attending the Gathering.
If you know someone who would like to spend a week in New Orleans contributing to the success of one of the largest youth events in the country, they are welcome to apply on-line.
Recreation Volunteer Application
* * *
Here are some more details from Allison:
Welcome! I am glad you are here to apply for a volunteer position for a fun-filled week at the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans, Louisiana on July 18-22.
Here are the basics that you need to know about the recreation volunteer position:
- You would be a member of a team of 11 volunteers (including myself) that would oversee the sports area of the Interaction Center during the ELCA Youth Gathering.
- You would be responsible for providing supervision, positive interaction, and enthusiasm to the 30,000+ ELCA Youth Gathering participants that are allowed to use the space.
- You would help with any set-up and tear-down and daily maintenance of the sports area that needs to be performed.
- Your travel, hotel, and meal expenses would be paid for.
- You would need to arrive in New Orleans on Tuesday, July 17 to prepare for the opening day on Wednesday, July 18.
- You would most likely leave New Orleans on Sunday, July 22.
- You would be required to be on-site at the sports area during the hours of operation, which are, 10am-3pm on Wednesday and 8:30am-4pm on Thursday-Saturday. You would also need to plan on being on-site 1 hour before the start of each day's hours of operation for a team meeting, set-up, etc.
I am excited to be given the opportunity to head up the sports area of the Interaction Center and to meet the many wonderful volunteers that will be offering their time and talents during the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering. I hope that you will prayerfully consider joining the recreation volunteer team.
Recreation Coordinator, City of West Des Moines