Friday, October 29, 2010

Here I Am, Send Me

A pastor friend of mine (to whom I am related by birth) is preaching at a jr. high event next week.  The theme is "Sent to the ends of the earth: Here I am, send me."  He asked for some ideas of videos that would connect with the theme...here's what I came up with.


When I think of "here I am, send me" I'm reminded of the old Fogerty song, Centerfield.  


"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today."



Continuing the sports metaphor, there are two movies that come to mind:


MIRACLE, the movie made a few years ago chronicling the 1980 USA Hockey Team.  Here's the locker room speech before the game against the Soviets:


I love the line "great moments come from great opportunities."  Young people might need to have their eyes opened to the opportunities that exist in their world.  Often times young people don't see the unique opportunities for being SENT.

The other great line (which probably boarders on pre-destination theology) is "you were born to be hockey players."  This could be tweaked to be "you were baptized to be evangelists." 
 

* * * 

HOOSIERS also has this great scene


"I'll make it"

Knowing the opportunities for failure (missing the shot, a bad pass, a steal, blocked shot, double-team) Jimmy trusts his ability and shoulders the responsibility.  This is the same kid that didn't go out for the team until the town voted to fire the coach.  

Being a "sent people" means being confident, assertive, well-prepared, and trusting the support of people who love you.  You might be able to do a little character study on Jimmy Chitwood and its implications for "here I am, send me."

* * *

There's also a great scene in FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING where the great leaders/warriors are arguing at the Council of Elrond about who will bear the burden of destroying the ring.  Through the din, little Frodo volunteers to destroy it; knowing it will likely cost him his life.  

Perhaps a great time to talk about Bonhoeffer and the cost of discipleship.  It's also a good example of how a small, young person can accomplish great things.  There's also solid examples of how community (the fellowship) supports the efforts of young people.  

It's a long clip, but I think it could be a marvelous example of what the event's theme is about.

* * *

As for any movies that have come out in the last few years, I'm afraid I'm little help.  There are, however, a couple of good websites that recommend video clips for Christian youth groups:


* * *

Koinonia readers -- what songs, video clips, or movies resonate with you on the topic "Sent to the ends of the earth: Here I am, send me"?  Feel free to share them in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to be a part of "koinonia"