Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tweeting the Death of Osama Bin Laden



When my wife told me Sunday evening that Osama Bin Laden was killed, I immediately went to Twitter. I knew the President would eventually make a speech that would deliver the details of how it all went down, but I wanted to see what the folks in my social network were tweeting. Here are a few of the more interesting tweets (or re-tweets) that my friends posted shortly after the first report:

@mclanea - Chuck Norris & Geraldo tracked and killed Osama Bin Laden

@chadholtz - Trump will want the long form for the death certificate

@chrisjonesuw - Ten years, trillions of $$, millions of lives lost. But at least War on Terror is over now, Right?

@andydaglas - If bin Laden is dead, I want the announcement to be followed by Obama dropping the mic and strutting off stage.

@revmelissa - Yet, I still cannot rejoice in killing.

@michaelgraham - 2nd time in two nights that Obama crushes Trump on live tv.

@thelepper - I have a hard time celebrating anyone's death, regardless of the circumstances.

@brianstelter - NBC's Richard Engel: "This ends a chapter in the global war on terrorism which has defined a generation."

@tiredkate - wonders if Bin Laden's death will actually change anything or if we will just think it does...

@andrewkarrmann - Usama? #reallyfoxnews?

@bobpowers - "I loosened it." -Bush

@benbadler - You're next, Carmen Sandiego

@muiz - "Bin Laden...forced a generation of young Muslims inc myself to publicly justify our identity - his death will not change this."

@jimgaffigan - Hey @BarackObama please start talking. CNN is embarrassing themselves.

@theimageoffish - Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble -Prov 24:17

@blakehuggins - the vile compulsion of american jingoism never ceases to amaze me. nor do the orgasmic reactions, we've willingly sacrificed our imagination

@stevenash - sicne we caught Osama do I still have to take my laptop out at security?

@ohxjulie - President Obama: "The United States is not and never will be at war with Islam" This is the message Americans need to hear the most.

@makeesha - I prly will not mourn for Osama bin Laden but I will not celebrate his death either. I hope our response as Americans elevates our humanity.

@jimgaffigan - Nice job @BarackObama, CIA, and armed forces. Pakistan, I'd like to talk to u in my office.

@jakebouma - "And so his death should be welcomed by all those who believe in peace." Uhhh... #cognitive dissonance

@choptedallen - Does this mean I can wear my effing shoes through TSA security again? ;)

@Adam_Jacobi - CNN reports Obama wrote the address himself. Just something all y'all congratulating his speechwriter might want to know.

@jonathanstegall - If Obama wins re-election, I think it will be more for this than for trying to give universal healthcare. We are a country of revenge.

@clarkekant - Fox News reporting Barak Hussein Obama authorizes the killing of a homeless man with kidney disease.

@gtal13 - Ps 139:21-2 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you? I hate them with perfect hatred.

@ohxjulie - Very rarely am I so conflicted in regards to what it means to be truly faithful.


Would you like to add your thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. I think I'm just a contrarian. I don't have a lot of friend that were all happy about Bin Laden's death. Most of the tweets just seemed so self-righteous and pious about "loving your enemies" Rubbed me the wrong way. Where's the love for the people who WERE relieved and glad he was dead? We all pick the enemies we will love and then judge others for not making the same choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to be a part of "koinonia"