Here are the ideas I'm considering for my Carbon Fast:
- Set refrigerator at 36-42F, freezer to -5 to +6F, water heater at 120F
- Use cold or warm water when washing clothes
- Buy local produce and products
- Eat fewer meat meals each week
- Use canvas bags for shopping
- When eating out, take your own plastic container for leftovers
- Recycle batteries, printer cartridges, cell phones, and plastic bags
- Use electronic media rather than paper
Here's a church in the UK that did this last year. Some neat suggestions in that article as well.
* * *
As an aside, our denominational mothership has a reputation of being overly deliberate and thoughtful (read: behind-the-times) in some of its social statements and policies. I was intrigued to discover that the ELCA adopted a Care for Creation social statement nearly 16 years ago...long before this most recent wave of environmental awareness made it popular to take care of our planet. Just call us Lutherans a bunch of trend-setters!